What is this research about?
This literature review provides a snapshot of the various trends that existed in settlement sector with respect to how newcomers settle in Canada before the COVID-19 pandemic started, as well as examples of how the settlement sector has significantly changed in response to the pandemic.
What did the researchers find?
Existing challenges that are being experienced by both newcomers and settlement workers need to be addressed while taking account of the new issues that pandemic has brought to light so that actionable solutions can be developed and identified. This document highlights examples of some of the solutions that the settlement sector has adopted to enhance the sector’s capacity so they can better support the economic integration and mobility of newcomers in Canada.
Key areas of focus:
- National Government Supports
- Provincial Supports
- Measuring Economic, Social, Democratic and Health Integration
- Ongoing Challenges and Barriers
- COVID-19 Impacts on Immigration and Settlement Sector Workers
- COVID-19 Impacts on Newcomers
- COVID-19 Impacts on Refugees and Asylum Seekers
- Implications for International Students
- COVID-19 Impacts on Immigrant Entrepreneurship and Businesses
- Impacts on Racism and Stigmatization Towards Asian Canadians
- Impact of COVID-19 on Migrant Workers
- Underutilized, Internationally Educated Health Professionals (IEHPs)
- Challenges with Integrating Immigrants into the Tech Sector: British Columbia
- The gig economy: Considerations and implications for migrant populations
- Promising Practices
- Provincial Examples - British Columbia
- Provincial Examples - Alberta
- National Examples - Non-Profit Organizations
- Efforts to Minimize Increased Rates of Racism and Xenophobia
- Possible Ways Forward for Immigrant Entrepreneurship and Businesses
- Internationally Educated Teachers - Supports
- Gig Economy - Recommendations
- Recommendations for Integrating Immigrants into the Tech Sector: British Columbia
- Other recommendations
- Innovative and Collaborative Settlement Sector Ideas & Practices
- Technology and Digitization: Resources for the Settlement Sector
- New Funding Models to Assist Newcomers with Economic Integration: Social Finance Models
Additional project resources: